About the National Intrepid Center of Excellence
The National Intrepid Center of Excellence (NICoE), a directorate of Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, helps service members and their families manage their traumatic brain injury (TBI) and psychological health (PH) conditions through:
- Cutting-edge diagnostic evaluation
- Comprehensive treatment planning
- Outpatient clinical care
- TBI and PH research
Patients at the NICoE experience a broad range of care in a team setting that promotes healing of the mind, body, and spirit. To help patients return to or stay involved in their communities and careers after treatment, the NICoE also provides family education and support services.
The NICoE is a key part of the Military Health System TBI Pathway of Care, which makes sure patients have:
- A point of entry to the care system
- A clear path through diagnosis, treatment, and reintegration
- Consistent access to high quality TBI treatment and research
Also serving as a research hub, the NICoE uses the most current high-tech clinical resources to advance medical science in TBI and PH.