The new WRNMMC was created in August 2011 with completion of the merger of Walter Reed Army Medical Center and the National Naval Medical Center.
WRNMMC is a vibrant institution where opportunities for training in Clinical Neuropsychology abound. The medical center has a diverse patient population, a large number of accredited training programs, and an environment that promotes scientific inquiry. In addition, the Bethesda location also provides many advantages, and recent fellows have pursued training opportunities at sites including National Rehabilitation Hospital, NIH, Georgetown University School of Medicine, Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, the Defense and Veterans Brain Injury Center, and the National Intrepid Center of Excellence.
Bethesda is within the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area and is an exciting place to live, with a broad range of cultural activities, professional and collegiate sports, and restaurants with every type of cuisine you can imagine. Bethesda is also within easy driving distance to beach and mountain resorts, and an easy car, bus, or train ride to Philadelphia or New York.
Examples of Training Opportunities Offered by WRNMMC Neuropsychology Fellowship Program:
• General Neuropsychological Evaluations to aid in neurological and psychiatric diagnosis and treatment planning, assist patients and families in adjusting to illness, and aid in military decision making. The Neuropsychology Service provides training with highly diverse adult and older adult patient populations.
• Cognitive Rehabilitation Rotation to provide specialty training in cognitive remediation and compensatory training techniques.
• Weekly Neuropsychology Fellowship Case Conference and Reading Seminar conducted in collaboration with several DoD, VAMC, and civilian fellowship training programs across the nation via Video teleconference
• Individualized Military-Relevant Research Projects; recent fellowship research topics include neuropsychological aspects of combat injury, sleep deprivation, performance validity, and aeromedical fitness.
• Attendance at Neurology Morning Rounds, Neurosurgery Rounds, and Epilepsy Rounds.
• Highly Specialized Neuropsychology Service Delivery including Wada testing, and awake craniotomy cortical mapping conducted with Departments of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Interventional Radiology in support of the WRNMMC Epilepsy Surgery Program
• Opportunity for Off-site Elective Training in Year Two
• Off-site Medical Neuroscience Course with Laboratory (Audit)